We have heard terrifying stories from the revolution in Ukraine: anarchists participating in anti-government street-fighting behind nationalist banners, anarchist slogans and historical figures appropriated by fascists… a dystopia in which familiar movements and strategies reappear with our enemies at the helm.
This text is a clumsy first attempt to identify the important questions for anarchists elsewhere around the world to discuss in the wake of the events in Ukraine. We present it humbly, acknowledging that our information is limited, hoping that others will correct our errors and improve on our analysis. It has been difficult to maintain contact with comrades in the thick of things; surely it is frustrating to be peppered with ill-informed questions amid the tragedies of civil war.
What is happening in Ukraine and Venezuela appears to be a reactionary counterattack within the space of social movements. This may be a sign of worse things to come—we can imagine a future of rival fascisms, in which the possibility of a struggle for real liberation becomes completely invisible. Here follow our hypotheses and an English-language reading list for those who are still catching up.
Recent Blog posts
• Steal Something from Work Day 2014[April 15th]
• New Zine about Capitalism and Anxiety[April 14th]
• Episode #21: Communism & Socialism, pt.2[April 10th]
• Presenting Rolling Thunder #11![April 7th]
• CrimethInc. Events on Three Continents[April 1st]
• Rolling Thunder #11 [Journal / April 7th]
• Ukrainian Revolution & Future of Social Movements [Texts / Mar 18th]
• Deserting the Digital Utopia [Texts / Oct 28th]
• After the Crest, pt. I: While the Dust Is Settling [Texts / Sep 9th]
• The June 2013 Uprisings in Brazil, Pt. II [Texts / Aug 28th]
• PRISM Surveillance Device Stickers [Tools / Aug 6th]
• The June 2013 Uprisings in Brazil, Pt. I [Texts / July 27th]
• Standing on the Land to Stand Up Against Pipelines [Texts / July 9th]
• The Internet As New Enclosure [Texts / June 10th]
• Anarchism and the English Language [Texts / May 23rd]
• Accounting for Ourselves [Texts / April 17th]
• Rolling Thunder #6 Complete PDF [Journal / March 31st]
• Contradictionary [Books / March 24th]
• Recipes for Disaster Second Edition [Books / Sept 24th]
The second series of Rolling Thunder opens with an issue full of adventure and analysis. Whether you’re a committed revolutionary looking for the latest strategic reflections from the front lines, or you simply enjoy the gripping tales of suspense and subversion, you can’t get this stuff anywhere else. Featuring a completely new and improved format, at 128 pages, this is our thickest issue yet.
We have partnered with our dear friends in the NSA to produce a Customer Appreciation Page at watchingover.us. Our first outreach project to promote awareness about the PRISM program and the NSA in general is a state-of-the-art sticker suitable for mobile phones, computers, and other electronic devices. Sport one of these to let everyone know where you stand; take a roll to educate your fellow students or employees!